Hammer steaming

William Sadler sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed, 24 May 1995 10:11:30 -0500

I being new to this conversation, have missed the boat.  Could someone send
me the article - conversation - description - of procedure concerning hammer
steaming?  I am intriqued.

Earler in my practice (1978) I tried some downy fabric softener on a fairly
new Steinway B that had already been needled to death.  The professor was
kind of a nut and thought the tone was too bright. (Heaven forbid try a
different brand - All hail the power of Steinway) Anyway, the fabric softner
was a disaster.  The hammers puffed up alright but I recall there was a waxy
residue left behind.  The tone became really funky.  Somwhat like muffled
thumbtacks if you could imagine.  I paniced.  I got out of that one by
turning the stack upside down and hosing the hammers with Acetone.  When I
was done the piano was left with virtually no inner voicing capability.
Dead as a doornail.  This professor loved it.  Of all the many technicians
he had I was the only one who gave him what he wanted.  I started to recieve
calls from his students and friends who wanted me to do the same thing to
their pianos.

There was no way I was going to repeat that experience of panic!

I thought about publishing the technique of fabric softner and acetone wash
(tongue in cheek) but I figured it would be too controversial.  I imagine
some people would see the whole thing a big intellegent chemistry project
designed to create proper piano tone.

William Sadler