Historical Temperments

William E. Darst darst@humanitas.ucsb.edu
Thu, 25 May 1995 11:04:41 -0800

>Greetings all,
>I am in need of any info on where to obtain reading material on Historical
>Temperments. Thanks!
>Dale Whitehead, R.P.T.
>Nashville chapter

I recommend that you go to your local library or University music library
and check out Mark Lindley's article on tuning and temperament in the New
Groves Dictionary.  It is quite extensive and will help you develop a good
framework for understanding.  You can then focus on your areas of interest.
There will be a large comprehensive bibliography at the end of the NG
article.  It will give you both original sources and more modern sources up
to 1980 or so.

Many people make the mistake of focusing on one modern book on  Hist.T&T as
their bible.  All of these modern books have value, but they also contain
opinion, biases and assumptions.  Many of the original writings have been
translated and are available in university libraries.  I recommend seeking
them out.  They are worth the effort.  (My own bias).

Bill Darst
Music Dept
UC Santa Barbara