Hammer steaming

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 25 May 1995 13:46:17 -0500

On Thu, 25 May 1995, John Musselwhite wrote:

[A whole raft of stuff expunged...]

> And finally, a customer has a Steinway M which had new (factory) hammers in
> the seventies but they were never lacquered. The customer complains the tone
> is too bright but the fibres just shred when they are filed and needles drop
> in by gravity. I would juice the hammers first and then file and needle but
> the customer is worried the piano will be too loud and bright after that and
> won't sanction the work. Would steaming help?

If I were in your shoes, I'd just yank 'em and replace 'em.  Sounds like
you've done everything but declare them dead.....which I'd put my money on!
In my experience, juicing those hammers would just make it too loud and
bright.....wait, you already said that!  6;-)

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html