Hammer steaming testimonial

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Mon, 29 May 1995 00:11:37 -0400

Dan Dover rote 5/23:
<<Anyway, that was my training cost, and it was well worth it.>>
The guy I got this technique from told me about being called back to and
action on which all the hammer had popped off the moldings. Being a gentleman
of course, he hung a new set. That was his cost is still it was worth it.

We should consider ourselves armed and dangerous!

Susan EWallinger  rote, 5/24:
<<I have followed up on pianos where fabric softener has been used (not
sure what quantity). What a mess!
The hammers seem to attract a lot of dirt and reshaping is impossible.
After one (1) pass with the sandpaper, it clogs up and can't be used.>>

I'm sorry to hear that "fabric softener" has had such a reputation for doing
the trick. Henceforth, we should all know that what is needed is pure clean
water, straight from the tap, no fancy containers and otherwise proprietary
ingredients. The best things in life are free (nearly....)

Ron ("The Man") Torella rote, 5/27:
<< Since we can't agitate hammers (as if it would help anyhow!) , we need an
efficient means of communicating water in hard-pressed wool -- soapy
solutions do that well.>>

Water won't soak into hard-pressed wool because of water's surface tension.
Dilute it with alcohol, and the alcohol will open the door. (I use the
alcohol/water soak for a couple of years, but always begrudged its
slowness.......similar to lacquer/lacq thinner vs. plastic/acetone.) Turn the
water from liquid to vapor, and you've eliminated its surface tension.

Bill Ballard, RPT           "She will slap you, she will kiss you,
NH Chapt, PTG                      you will fall in love with her"
                                               from a promotional t-shirt
                                                  for Kendrick rock'n'roll
amps. (YUK)