Journal article

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Mon, 29 May 1995 00:13:19 -0400

Keith McGavern rote, 5/21:
<<Well, it is pretty exciting stuff.  Mr. Franklin has a unique and fresh way
of expressing his experiences.  It struck a chord way down deep inside of me.
Maybe it will resonate in you as well.>>

Yes, it made a great story, and I wanted to believe as much as anyone else
that a great secret was on the verge of discovery. But it has been one big
false alarm. In the last week (boy was my Journal late this month!...), I
have tried every Steinway which I thought great sounding to find an accord
between the speaking length and the back duplex. In each instance (allow me
the irony of quoting), "the intervals were somewhat flat or sharp of these
consonances."

I suspect further that this well-known variation in accordance, is likely due
as much to the ebb and flow of tensions across the bridge, over the years of
tuning, as to any misplacementof the back duplex bars. Anyhoo, shouldn't the
proper placement and later verification thereof of these bars be a simple
matter of distance ratio? Throughout Mr. Franklin's quest there is the
unwavering presumption of his that some correct consonance between these two
section s will allow the tone of a piano to soar forth. Accompanying this
presumption is precious little science. What may I ask, are we to gather from
the charts at the top of p. 26? That partial strength actually deteriorates
after "placement and tuning".

Do misunderstand me, I'm greatful to Franklin for his contribution to the
Journal  and like Keith, admire his zeal. But the best news I got from his
article was that LaGuardia Community College has a Steinway Archives
Collection which is by now cataloged. (Could they post an index on the
internet?) But for the meantime, hopes raised in the article's first
paragraphs for some dog Steinways up here, are now back on the shelf in their
shoebox.

Bill Ballard, RPT           "She will slap you, she will kiss you,
NH Chapt, PTG                      you will fall in love with her"
                                               from a promotional t-shirt
                                                  for Kendrick rock'n'roll
amps. (YUK)