Plucking strings

Judith A. Hornberger jhornber@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu
Sun, 01 Oct 1995 00:07 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Keith,

Pluck a piano string, then play the same note normaly.  If the note
sounds better plucked than struck you know there is aproblem with the
hammer or action.   If the pluck-struck test test produces similar but
not very good tones you better start looking at the soundboard, bridges,
string terminations, name on fallboard, etc.   I learned about this
plucking stuff from Dan Harteau RPT who always says,"Listen to the piano.
It will tell you what to do."
I would guess that plucking to determine sustain only measures the decay.

Paul Hornberger RPT
Detroit-Windsor Chapter