Plucking strings

HartmanCJ@aol.com HartmanCJ@aol.com
Sun, 01 Oct 1995 17:25:59 -0400

Keith,
I think the answer to your question is yes, there is more that can be
revealed by plucking the string. In the third part of my downbearing article
(October PTJ) I describe an experiment that uses plucking the string in both
a vertical and horizontal direction and comparing the difference in sustain.
In some cases this can reveal the effects of more or less bearing on the
resultant tone by separating the vertical and horizontal motions of the
string. It can be a useful test to determine if the soundboard is working
properly. Unfortunately this test cannot be used universally on all pianos
because of design differences such as soundboard thickness and rib scales. I
find it works well on S&S pianos to separate the living from the dead.

John Hartman RPT
NYC chapter
hartmancj@aol.com