More plucking vs. playing

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Sun, 01 Oct 1995 18:22:24 -0400

Barney Ricca posted:
>>...By looking at the after-sound, you can get an idea as to whether or not
a piano will support certain types of playing: if the sustain isn't
there, then nothing you do to the hammers or action will correct the
problem...<<

I like very much your entire presentation.  It increases my understanding
greatly.

However, there is one thing you said which puzzles me.   It is:
>>...By plucking, you are largely removing any tonal characteristics
which depend on the dynamic level. In addition, you are removing the
tonal influence of the action (which is not negligible in playing)...<<

Are you saying when played, a regulated piano versus an out-of-regulation
piano is negligible when it concerns the dynamic level?

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731