Plucking strings and sustain time

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Sun, 01 Oct 1995 18:22:33 -0400

Lawrence Beach posted:
>>The mode of excitation, whether by
string the string with a felt-covered hammer, a hammer made of other
materials, or plucking excites different harmonics, and thus produces a
different tonal quality of the sound<<

Dear Lawrence,

My first thought: "opening up a whole new can of worms" :>

This Mode of Excitation made me realize that there would also be a factor
which I temporarily am going to call The Place of Excitation.

Just these two touchstones could easily create a new realm of tests to make
determinations of the capabilities of a piano, that is, if there were a way
to conduct them with exactness thoroughout the scale.  Maybe in your
reference >>'Pianos, Pianists, and Sonics', by Gilbert Arthur Briggs<<, it
has already been done.

At this point I would have to concede, that done systematically (The Place of
Excitation), with an unwavering instrument (The Mode of Excitation), it would
be very possible to make some significant discoveries of the potential of any
given piano.

Much thanks for your contribution to this subject.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731