double striking hammers

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Wed, 04 Oct 1995 11:36:21 -0400

We have a C-7 (Yamaha) that double strikes on certain pianissimo
playing.  I say certain pp playing, because it is the way it is
played that makes it double hit. Anyone come up against this problem?  Please
advise!

Vince,
Besides the other things mentioned already you might want to check the
condition of the skin on the backcheck and the hammer tail. "Freshening up"
the roughing has often stopped bubbling hammers for me. Pretty basic, but
it's easy to forget. I've spent a hell of a lot of time missing forrests
because I was staring at a tree.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com