double striking hammers

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 05 Oct 1995 10:43:49 -0600

>Conrad Hoffsommer rote 10/2:
><<The S&S d we have with that problem usually responds to a light
>sanding of the hammer tail breaking through the "glaze" of
>backcheck leather and allowing it to check on a ppp stroke.>>
>
>Hammers which check on a ppp blow? With the check occuring nearly at drop (as
>this must), it's probably hard to watch rep lever strength.

I've often seen this on pianos where the technician has followed the advice
to "make the hammers check as high as you can".  If you don't have at least
a half-inch for the hammer to return after checking you can't really set the
springs very well.

BTW, your advice on hammers "bubbling" appears to be the same as mine. I
feel if the specs say 1/8" and 1/8" for letoff and drop in _most_ cases that
is where they should be set if you want the aftertouch to be correct,
particularly on Asian pianos.  Any further comments on that?

                John

John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca