Plugging/reboring hammers

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Fri, 06 Oct 1995 08:05:04 -0400 (EDT)

I have rebored hammers, two sets, and misses during boring.  I use upright
hammer shanks and any handy glue.  During boring if I do not like the hole
location is use CA glue so a few minutes later I can rebore.  I insert the
upright shank into but not through the hammer just short of flush on the back
of the molding.  If I am using CA it goes in next.  If TITEBOND then it goes
on the shank first.

If you do not have a flat surface on the backcheck sind then you will need to
use the other side as a 'hold it down and straight' side.  The old glue must
be cleaned off.  I suggest using a SHARP bits larger than usual to allow for
adjusting angles to the shank when hanging.

This is not difficult, just tedious.

      Newton
      nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu