Metal Soundboards

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Sun, 08 Oct 1995 21:10:03 -0400

> >     Despite the U.S. embargo on trade with Cuba
> >...  Treuhaft took illegal trips to Cuba in 1993 and 1994 to
> >experience the cigars and rum, and to donate piano-tuning to a
> >population of musicians struggling away on worn-out pre-embargo
> >wrecks.  The Cuban government's Institute of Music got wind of the
> >visiting American felon (tuning with the enemy is punishible by 10
> >years in prison and $300,000 in fines under current U.S. law)
>
> >...Since U.S. policy prohibits donations to Castro government
> >entities... He will travel illegally, as is his
> >custom.
>
> Ben,
> Are you sending assault weapons and armor piercing ammunition to Cuba
> inside these pianos?  I'm sure Castro will appreciate the pianos and th
>
> By the way, why hasn't the PTG code of ethics police said anything abou
> these activities?
> It must have something to do with Political Correctness.
>
> Have fun in Cuba,
> Dan Squire

Let's see,

Ben isn't 1. Acting dishonorably or unprofessionally
     is   2. Rendering the best possible sefvice under the circumstances
             keeping the best interest of his client (Cuba) in mind
    isn't 3. Overcharging Cuba or misrepresenting the pianos or in any
             other way engaging in unfair trade practices
    isn't 4. using the name or trademarks of the PTG improperly (as far
             as I know he isn't using them at all)
          5. His professional skills are very likely to be very much
             upgraded as a result of trying to get those junkers to work
             in Cuba
          6. His project will certainly increase goodwill towards the
          profession and the music industry (at least in Cuba).

So as far as this RPT is concerned, the PTG code of ethics isn't being
violated. Besides, I don't see Ben listed in my PTG directory.

So if folks wish to discuss the real shortcomings of the PTG, I'm game.
Let's not waste any more bandwidth on gratuitous sniping.

Israel Stein, RPT