Metal Soundboards

Tony Geers 75201.254@compuserve.com
Sun, 08 Oct 1995 22:12:42 -0400 (EDT)

I spoke with my father concerning the Baldwin SD-10 with the metal soundboard.
When this piano was made he was superintendent in charge of grand manufacturing.
Only one was made, and he is quite surprised that it ever left the factory.

It had a wood soundboard covered with foil.  At this particular time Baldwin had
a new engineer who was trained in the field of electronics.  He had no prior
experience with pianos.  Many ideas were tried such as the foil soundboard.
Even glass and paper or cloth was experimented with.

He told me about one piano that came in for repair.  A "technician" had rebuild
the piano and slopped varnish all over the bridge, including the bridge cap.
For some reason this engineer liked the sound of this piano so they experimented
with painting the grafite bridge cap with varnish.  The result was a very dead
sounding piano.

My best to all of you
Tony Geers
75201.254@compuserve.com