Ivories

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 15:40:48 -0700 (PDT)

>Dear Pianotech subscribers,
>
>What factors contribute to ivories turning yellow?
>
>Any information, public or private, will be appreciated.
>
>Keith A. McGavern, RPT
>Oklahoma Chapter 731

This isn't an answer, but I have heard about the solution to use
toothpaste many times.  I tried it myself to see if it had any effect,
and I had no results.  Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I think
toothpaste is an old 'piano-significant-others' tale.  Please excuse the
term in quotes.  In this age, I would likely be crucified for using the
old saying.  What I resorted to was using 400-grit wet-dry sandpaper, and
gradually removing the yellowed surface until I got to a white keytop.
Then I polished it with a polishing compound.  I have also heard of
treating the keytops with a solution of water and a few drops of bleach,
and putting them in the sunlight, taking care that the keys themselves
don't warp.  I have yet to try out this technique, but it may be better
than sanding.  One further question, though, what is keytop whitener?  I
have always been afraid to even purchase the stuff, in case it turned out
to be a paint.

Laurence Beach
Vancouver BC