Tuning in 1895

delgit@afm.org delgit@afm.org
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 18:46:02 -0500 (EST)

As we approach the end of a century I wonder what life as a piano
technician was like in 1895, a hundred years ago.

What tools or knowledge do we take for granted now was not available or
understood then?

Do we achieve better tunings now?

How about the quality of materials?

Did pianos sound different then? Are they better now?

Pianos were the entertainment center of many homes then. Was the piano
tuner respected more? Paid more?

How many technicians per capita was there a hundred years ago? Now?

Was there any organized association of piano technicians here? In
Europe? Did they publish a journal?

On the flip side:  What will be the state of piano tuning and service a
hundred years in the future?  10 years?

I know that if I had time I could find a lot of answers at the library
and on the Internet.  But, knowing the wealth of knowledge on Pianotec I
thought I'd get your opinions.

       Del Gittinger, RPT
       Marion, OH
       delgit@afm.org