Ivories

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:44:35 -0600

>What factors contribute to ivories turning yellow?

Lots of people have said what to do about them, but the reason why they turn
yellow in the first place hasn't been emphasized.

Lack of sunlight is the major factor. The natural bleaching action of the
sun is what keeps them white, and as long as the piano is exposed to
sunlight (even indirectly) and they're kept clean they have a chance at
staying white.

That being said, I have an old Gourlay, Winters & Leeming I look after which
was smoke-damaged in a fire. The ivories are the most beautiful brown colour
with the grain being highly visible. they like them like that so I'm leaving
them, particularly since other than the colour they are perfect!

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca