Tuning in 1895

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 10:03:37 -0600

>As we approach the end of a century I wonder what life as a piano
>technician was like in 1895, a hundred years ago.

My grandfather was a tuner in 1905. I supposed it hadn't changed that
drastically by then.

>What tools or knowledge do we take for granted now was not available or
>understood then?

There is a TON of knowledge we have that they didn't. As for tools, even a
simple thing like a vacuum cleaner is a godsend for us.  I still use many of
grandfather's tools... his Hale tuning hammer is MUCH better than anything
sold today. On the other hand, wire benders and key-easing pliers are
straight pliers with no mechanical advantage.

>Do we achieve better tunings now?

I think so... more consistant ones between tuners anyway.

>How about the quality of materials?

In 1905 my grandfather made tools and some supplies as he needed them. He
made punchings (paper and felt) rather than buying them, but I can't say
about other supplies as he's been dead 45 years and I can't ask him!

>Did pianos sound different then? Are they better now?

He did a lot of squares and birdcages back then as he started tuning just as
the "modern" piano was being regularly produced. He was in Saskatchewan
where the pianos were old and ratty even back then!

>Pianos were the entertainment center of many homes then. Was the piano
>tuner respected more? Paid more?

My father never went hungry during the depression and always had gas for his
Model A so it wasn't that bad. He got respect from musicians, which I
suppose is the important thing.

>How many technicians per capita was there a hundred years ago? Now?

A hundred years ago in Saskatchewan there were two real tuners for the
entire province!  Here in Calgary Alberta (the next province over) there are
TOO many tuners compared to the number of pianos to be serviced... the
competition is fierce now compared to then.

>Was there any organized association of piano technicians here? In
>Europe? Did they publish a journal?

I don't know about there... he was not a member of any organization to my
knowledge. I'll ask my father later today (he's 89).

>On the flip side:  What will be the state of piano tuning and service a
>hundred years in the future?  10 years?

What I think will happen is the number of new acoustic pianos will drop
within the next 25 years, but the quality of those made will go up and the
cheaper ones will be dropped. There will ALWAYS be used pianos around, just
as there will always be concert pianos. Even the Starship Enterprise had a
Steinway grand in 10-Forward according to the books!

The quality of the technicians will rise as well. We've seen that in the
last 25 years and there is no sign of that easing. We as technicians know
more about the piano than the manufacturers did 100 years ago!

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca