Acetone/keytop mix?

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 15:54:20 -0600

>>Mark Dierauf writes:
>> They're new Steinway hammers, right out of the box, but are dated 5/94.
>> I've used laquer in the past on Steinway hammers, but I think that this
set will
>> come up most of the way by simply hogging off a lot of the felt. The piano

>I think you will find that lacquer is a must to bring those hammers
>up.  I wouldn't use the keytop solution initially on S&S hammers.

I definately agree with both sentiments. Steinway hammers are SOFT and while
I have installed them "raw" before I ended up going back and juicing
properly anyway.  It makes the hammers MUCH easier to work with as well
(IMO).  The keytop solution is for final voicing anyway. It builds power TOO
fast for initial work, and once it's in there lacquer doesn't work well (if
at all).
You can use it on top of lacquer, but not the other way around.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca