Answer to E J's letter -Reply

Gordon Wilson gwilson@firefly.prairienet.org
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 12:37:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Jack Reeves wrote:

> 08:21am >>>
> To call this newsgroup "Not a place for beginers" is a mistake.
> it.  Now to the "howevers".  (1.)  It exists for the benefit of the
> college and university technicians.  (2.)  I have not limited
> subscriptions to CUTC members, because there are many other
> technicians, including those who are fairly new to piano
> technology, whose opinions, expertice, and questions are very
> valuable.  I am reminded of this at every chapter meeting I attend
> (every month) where I learn from technicians regardless of their
> skill levels.
>
> Please, when you post to pianotech remember who this list was
> created for, why it was created, and that it exists for the
> education and comradeship of its subscribers.
>
> If you would like to see a newsgroup or email list that serves
> other purposes, feel free to set up your own.
>
> Jack
> jack_reeves@byu.edu

Also well said, IMNSHO!

You may recall that I am still recovering from flame-burns ;-}
It seems to me that one of the main considerations should be which
messages to forward to the whole list.  If you have a bone to pick with
someone, send a private message.  I am on three listservs, so I
understand the problem of wading through piles of messages.  Could it be
that some like to carp at someone more if there is an audience?
My observation (now that I can look at another situation objectively) is
that far more valuable space and time has been wasted on scolding the
offenders from all sides than was wasted by the original offense.

I am still and always grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this
forum.  I sincerely appreciate the decision to keep it open to all with
an interest in piano technology.

Fraternally, with lots of letters but not the appropriate ones after my name,

Gordon Wilson
Keyboard Studio
Urbana, Illinois
gwilson@prairienet.org