stuck nose bolts on a Chickering

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 05:16:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 24 Oct 1995 PNOTNR@aol.com wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to remove the nose bolts on a Chickering Grand.  There
> are disks, about the size of a nickel with small holes on either side of
> where the threaded portion of the bolt protrudes. All of this is
countersunk...

I did an Erard several years ago that had this type bolt, but they were
more half-dollar size.  I found a socket wrench the diameter of the two
holes, marked on it where the holes were and ground away 1/4" of the rest
of the socket.  This left two steel posts the size to match the two
holes.  That became my tool to work those bolts.  Most of the bolts in
the plate had this kind of configuration so making a tool to work them
became very important.

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas