October Journal Article

Pianocraft@aol.com Pianocraft@aol.com
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 22:01:18 -0400

Michael,

Your questions are entirely appropriate.  The graphs are my own invention to
describe a hypotheses about downbearing. They are not related to any
experiments. You are probably right in pointing out the lack of direct
measurements of polarized string motions. There is indirect evidence, though,
that the strings behaves in the manner I have described. I refer you to The
Coupled Motion of Piano Strings by Gabriel Weinreich published in Five
Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano were the string motions are shown to
effect the decay of piano tone.  In particular pages 74 and 75 where he talks
about the relation between string motion and soundboard impedance. I have
simply taken Mr. Weinreichs idea and added the concept of downbearing
altering the soundboards impedance. I think this is logical and highly
likely. By the way there are some graphs there similar to mine.

Although my article contains a lot of speculation there is some hard evidence
behind it. What I have tried to do is piece together the various clues from
the more credible sources available and to show how they may relate to a
specific aspect of the piano. I am a piano rebuilder not a scientist so my
interest is in finding ways to  utilize the existing information to enhance
my craftsmanship. I am not interested nor am I equipped to prove some of the
more speculative aspects of the subject.  For what its worth, and this may
be little assurance, I can tell you that much of the theory in the article is
in agreement with my own experience in the shop. In particular the aspects
related to string motions described in part three.

John Hartman RPT