October Journal Article

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 22:46:53 -0500 (EST)

Thank you for this clarification.  I have some further comments
that I will add over time to this discussion.

Here are some of my observations along these same lines.   A
while ago I posted something entitled "Pianos That Die".  I got
no response from anyone...Left me a little frustrated.  However,
I did feel some relief that came from your description of
symptoms that one encounters with poor tone in the fifth octave
(C5 -C6).

We have at present 7 concert grands in our inventory of about 260
instruments.  Four of them are very good instruments purchased
within the last ten years.  Two of others have had the boards
replaced, actions rebuilt.  We have newer Steinway, Baldwin, and
Kawai seven footers.  I have to say that there is not a single
instrument that really knocks me off my feet.   Its that damn C5
-C6 octave.  Also I service Baldwin Artists pianos for the
Cincinnati Symphony.  Its a good gigue they have me on retainer
and I'm down there about eight hours per week.  Baldwin Artist
Division supplies the symphony with pianos which are periodically
replaced ( about every five years) with new ones and the used
ones go out to the funny farm.   Steinway plays the same game.
So I see pianos that are top notch and I watch them peak at about
two years into their stint then they slowing start losing their
glow.

Its sad.  I assure you that it has nothing to do with anything
that is fixable.  For years I was sure that it did.

Michael Wathen