teflon

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 09:01:26 -0500 (CDT)

What is the general opinion about teflon?  Is everyone out there
replacing teflon parts with every opportunity to do so? (Iam.)
Is there any redeeming value to keeping teflon?  (I don't think
so.)  I'm curious if there's anyone out there still defending teflon.

Also, to set the record straight, I never intended to take "pot shots"
at Ernie Juhn.  I have the highest regard and respect for anyone who
has done so much for our profession and for PTG in particular.  I
still don't agree with many of the things he has said recently, but I
certainly believe the whole discussion about what PTG was, is and will
be, is worth the space here on pianotech.

Regarding the questions from our English colleagues, I'm curious to
know how well they feel their professional organizations work over
there.  By opening our organization to more than just tested
professionals, we have more dues paying members and probably have
more resources, economically speaking, to "do things" (Journal,
convention, benefits, etc.)  But, the down side is that we sacrifice
the "purity" of the organization by letting in untested members.

In regard to reamers, I have used the old tuning pin as a reamer.
Before you hyperventilate on this one, hear me out.  A technician at
Yamaha suggested taking the old pin, and filing four flat sides (don't
square off the pin, leave rounded corners).  Chuck the pin in a drill
and quickly ream each hole.  This method takes off just enough
material to make the next size pin fit beautifully and the tightness
is consistent from pin to pin.  I've tried this method twice and
gotten wonderful results.

Richard West
University of Nebraska