teflon

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 12:34:43 -0600

>What is the general opinion about teflon?  Is everyone out there
>replacing teflon parts with every opportunity to do so? (Iam.)

I'm not... I LIKE teflon bushings and only replace the parts if it's
absolutely necessary. Teflon is easier to work with and more precise than
felt IMO. I appreciate how some pianists feel about being slightly
disconnected from the "naturalness" of felt bushings, but I've heard the
same comment about the carbon jack too. I also understand that in some
climates they don't work as well as others, but here they are perfectly OK
if serviced correctly.

>Is there any redeeming value to keeping teflon?  (I don't think
>so.)  I'm curious if there's anyone out there still defending teflon.

As far as I'm concerned there is always redeeming value in keeping a
Steinway as original as possible. Unless there is a specific reason for
changing the parts it's an unnecessary expense for the piano owner IMO. If
you ARE going to replace the parts, replace all of them. Mixing them may
lead to geometry problems you don't want to have to deal with.

In our part of the world (Calgary, Canada) Teflon bushings are reasonably
stable once they're set, and minor adjustments can be made quickly and
easily. You MUST use Steinway bushings and pins and the proper tools when
working on them though. If you don't, they will always be a problem.

>Also, to set the record straight, I never intended to take "pot shots"
>at Ernie Juhn.  I have the highest regard and respect for anyone who
>has done so much for our profession and for PTG in particular.  I
>still don't agree with many of the things he has said recently, but I
>certainly believe the whole discussion about what PTG was, is and will
>be, is worth the space here on pianotech.

If I interpret what Ernie has said correctly, he is concerned about whether
we are an association of professional piano technicians or a club for
hobbyists. I share the same concerns, and I can see it happening in the near
future if something isn't done NOW.

>there.  By opening our organization to more than just tested
>professionals, we have more dues paying members and probably have
>more resources, economically speaking, to "do things" (Journal,
>convention, benefits, etc.)  But, the down side is that we sacrifice
>the "purity" of the organization by letting in untested members.

The "purity" of the organization is intact at the moment although I have
reservations about a professional organization being involved in elementary
training.  Let the schools do the training and leave the testing to us.
When any joe blow piano dealer or amateur player can join our organization
and have full voting rights THEN the "purity" will be lost and we'll be just
another social club. If the PTG ceases to be an organization of REGISTERED
piano technicians all our goals will be lost forever.

>In regard to reamers, I have used the old tuning pin as a reamer.
>Before you hyperventilate on this one, hear me out.  A technician at
>Yamaha suggested taking the old pin, and filing four flat sides (don't
>square off the pin, leave rounded corners).  Chuck the pin in a drill
>and quickly ream each hole.  This method takes off just enough

The only thing which would concern me about that is cooking the wood around
the hole. I'm not even fond of removing a pin with a drill because of that.
I may try it at some point, though... thanks for the tip!

                John

John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca