Yamaha Ivorite keyboard replacement

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:15:35 -0600 (MDT)

Paul Stephens writes,

>I currently have two Yamaha grands with really grungey Ivorite keytops.  The
>warrantee will replace the keyboards.  I would appreciate some ball-park
>estimates for the amount of time I should schedule for each one. Thanks.

I have done a number of these replacements for Yamaha.  The time depends a
little on which model. C-3s and C-5s take a little less time, on these you
do not need to take measurements of the original keys, they will just ship
them to you.  The C-7's need to be custom made, in Japen, for each
instrument (takes 2 to 3 months) .  The measuring process is easy though
(they provide a worksheet) and it only takes 15 minutes or so. The C-7s seem
to need a little more fitting (easing, balance hole fit etc..) than the 5s
and 3s.

After fitting the keys in the keyframe all models will need the following
regulation:
Key leval, Key dip, backcheck squaring, checking distance, blow distance,
damper lift from key.  After these regulation points I always go through and
check all others but often find they are quite close. I would allow
somewhere between 5 and 7 hours, at least for your first one.

Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu