Glue Revisited

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 00:37:53 -0400

Danny,

<< As we constantly discuss all our choices for adhesives I want to throw in
 reminder.  So many applications are for materials which will have to be
removed
 and reglued in the future.  YOU may be the one removing the glue and
cleaning
 up.  Which glue would YOU like to be trying to remove in the future?

 I use hide glue whenever possible, sometimes just for this reason.  Be kind
 yourself and future technicians.

 Danny Dover
 Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH >>

This is a very good point.  However, I have had no difficulty in cleaning and
prepping a surface that has had PVC-E applied to it.  Also Titebond or
Carpenter's glue comes apart easily and cleans up with a little bit of heat
and moisture.  I have to differ just a little though on the all-around
suitability of hide glue for all operations.  While hot hide glue is
absolutely wonderful stuff, is extremely strong and time efficient to use in
most cases, I feel that it is just not the best for certain jobs.  Especially
any application where there is a perpendicular orientation of the grain of
two pieces of wood.  This is why we see so many jack flanges popped loose
from the wippen and why we find so many hammer heads loose on the shank.  The
brittleness of hide glue, which is a plus in most situations, can cause a
mechanical failure in this application.

I have had the great fortune to attend several classes under Del Fandrich in
which he lays out the strengths and weaknesses of a number of different glues
and adhesives and goes to great detail to explain why each one is
particularly suited, not-suited or neutral for a given situation.  If any of
you have a chance to catch this class, I would highly recommend it to you.

Thanks for the reminder,

Allan Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College