Removing action on Wurlitzer

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 00:40:36 -0400

Gary,

<< I need to remove the action of a Wurlitzer drop action piano in order to
 repin or freeup some sluggish flanges.  It will be the first one I've worked
 on.  It seems Wurlitzers are not common (fortunately?) in South Africa.  The
 removal appears to involve loosening all the abstracts.  Before tackling
this
 job I would appreciate any cautions/hints from those with experience.  In
 giving a quotation for this work how much time is normal  for removal and
 replacement.

 Gary Isaac >>

You don't mention what vintage of instrument this is, but, if the piano is
from the early seventies forward, the sluggish flange situation can be
remedied by an application of silicone and naphtha, which was devised by
Wurlitzer about 20 years to cure this problem.  I have found this lubricant
to work well on these actions and, in my experience, is a permanent fix.  If
you are not familiar with this mixture, check with Baldwin Tech service who
can provide specifics on what to obtain.  Or feel free to contact me
privately and I will be glad to try to relay the informatino for you.

Allan Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College
Gilreath@aol.com