1930's WURLITZER

Cliff Maurer ab254@oak-web.washington-ch.oh.us
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 08:30:54 -0400

I would like to reiterate a question that I asked back in June. I don't
recall reading any replys or comments. So, I'll ask again.
 ------I just acquired a 6' 10" Wurlitzer Grand that is in so -so condition.
I beleive this instrument was made in about 1930. Upon removal of the action
,I looked in underneath the plate and discovered there was no pinblock. In
it's place are individual machine set screws. It seems to me that I've heard
of this before in some discussion of pinblock/plate designs but have never
come across this before in all my years as a piano tech.
        The tuning pins all seem to be in pretty good shape. There are a few
that could be a little tighter.
        If I were to restore this instrument what are some of the problems
that I might run into? If someone has worked on one of these before I would
really like to have some insight on what I might be getting into.
                        Thanks, again.
                                        Cliff Maurer