Sore Back

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:13:04 -0400

I have followed with interest the postings about sore backs and sore muscles.
 I have worked out problems in these areas.  A herniated disk and tendenitis
helped me make a choice, either work it out or get into a different business.

Two procedures during the tuning are a must for me:  be ambidextrous and sit
on an ensolite pad.  Using all of the back and hand mucles equally avoids
constant repetition, giving all muscles a chance to rest while still moving
forward with the tuning.  The ensolite pad is second only to my tuning hammer
as a tool.  I liken it to good shoes (My back hurts if my feet aren't
comfortable).  So, my back hurts if my rear end isn't comfortably.

Sure it takes time to learn ambidextrous tuning, but there are those who have
learned it and are practicing preventative medicine.  Eliminating the cause
stops the need for trying to find a cure.

There were times I couldn't lift an empty coffee cup, because my right arm
hurt so bad.  There were times my back hurt so bad all I could do was lay on
the floor with my knees pulled up to my chest.  That was 16 years ago.  I
have very little pain now.

I have had pains from doing shop work, but those pains have also been worked
through by using a better body technique.

Tim Coates