Sore Back

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:43:14 -0400

>I have followed with interest the postings about sore backs and sore muscles.
> I have worked out problems in these areas.  A herniated disk and tendenitis
>helped me make a choice, either work it out or get into a different business.
>

>Two procedures during the tuning are a must for me:  be ambidextrous and sit
>on an ensolite pad.  Using all of the back and hand mucles equally avoids
>constant repetition, giving all muscles a chance to rest while still moving
>forward with the tuning.

If you sit while tuning, another trick to prevent muscle aches is to stand
up occasionally and put your whole body into it.  While sitting,there is a
lot of strain on the arm and shoulder blade.  When you stand you put the
entire upper body into the effort.  You can stand even while tuning a
spinet. I still, however, recommend ambidextrous tuning.  It comes in handy
when one side of the piano is against a wall.

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, Florida