Tuning fatigue

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 10:21:27 -0800 (PST)

List,
	While attending Western Iowa Tech, Doug Neal advised us to learn
tuning with both hands right from the start.  Since we didn't know what
a tuning hammer should feel like, we learned using both hands.  Doug
reasoned that some homes would have a piano stuck in a corner and it
would be difficult to tune the extremes of one side of the piano.
	When I tune verticals (about 99% of my work) I tune the bass
right handed and the rest left handed.  When I tune grands, it's all right handed except for the high treble.  It bothers me to move my chair
around the corner and reach in around the lid prop to move the hammer.
(it's all psychological, something about gravity if I bump the prop).
	I've tuned since 1989 and I have never tuned a piano in a corner that has bothered me.  This technique was frustrating to learn but
looking back perhaps it was no more frustrating to learn than just
learning to tune.  As for tuning fatigue, I've never experienced it
since my arms both get a rest but I'm only 31 but that could always
change with age.  (As for my back, after 3-4 pianos that's a different
story...I'm pretty guilty of fatigue...my hobby is cooking and I'm a
little front heavy)
	Anyone wanting to learn this will have to learn a whole new feel
but it should go quicker assuming that your ears are already trained.  Over the years I've had several good tuners watch me in envy wishing they
could tune with both hands.
	The only downside that I've had was when a customer wanted to
watch and keep a small conversation going.  When I switch sides I have
to turn my back to them and then I explain my technique so they don't
think I'm being rude.  When I want them to be quiet, the technique is
quite handy.

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Ron_and_Lorene@Juno.com