SAT magnetic pick up

Pianotoone@aol.com Pianotoone@aol.com
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 16:50:25 -0400

<<  I have found that a fast spinning ceiling fan overhead will wreak havoc
     during a tuning.  I tuned a nice Yamaha studio vertical in my early
     years with my then new accu-tuner.  During the tuning, though, I found
     that the lights were spinning and turning with a mind of their own -
     something I had not experienced before.  I was confused and had no idea
     what was going on.  Maybe, I thought, my new machine was defective.
     Maybe I was in the twilight zone - I just wanted to escape alive!  So I
     continued and plodded through over 3/4 of the tuning only to discover
     (or wake-up and realize) that a ceiling fan was spinning above me in the
     room.  I politely asked the customer to turn it off as I thought that
     maybe it was having a detrimental effect on my tuning.  With the fan
     safely disabled I went back over what I had already done and discovered
     that, "man, did that fan have an (negative) effect!"  I essentially had
     to re-do all my previous work. >>

For what it's worth, I actually find that I use the magnetic pickup very
little. but when I do it's a mind-saver.  Like the example of tuning in a day
room with 20 noisy mental patients and rap music on the TV.  Or the time I
had to do a quick tuning on a badly out of tune console piano at a County
Fair with a ride blaring out 100 DB Rock music about 5O yards away.  I walked
away with 70 bucks after about 1-1/4.  Try that with you in the machine mike
or worse yet with just your ears.  I know some would have walked away and not
done the tuning, but I have $70 dollars that they don't have.

Regards to all,
Dick Day
Marshall MI