Tuning fatigue

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Fri, 02 Aug 1996 05:28:56 -0600 (MDT)

	Ron and the PianoTech list,

	I agree with your sentiments concerning the apparently dishonest
post trying to promote Jesus Christ. But maybe we need to wait until we
find out what actually happened. What _seemed_ to happen, doesn't actually
seem possible.

	Regarding Tuning Fatigue:

	There are many, many ways to skin a cat (which is the theme of my
book DIFFERENT STRIKES--Hammer Techniques For Piano Technicians.)  I have
found that a shaped ball on the end of the hammer handle, has reduced arm
and hand strain significantly, especially on upright pianos. (The shape is
taken from the gear shift lever on my Toyoto Camry.)

	I'm sure that using both hands to tune is a benefit but I haven't
bothered to learn this approach. I do know from experience that changing
the hammer angle on the pin to 9 o'clock when the piano is in a tight
corner is a completely valid move. All it takes is a bit of learned
accomodation re: how high to pull the pitch and how far to push it back
counter-clockwise.

	Ken Burton, "Doctor Piano", Calgary, Alberta