Getting the Bills Paid

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 02 Aug 1996 11:17:54 -0500

To you CAUT's (primarily) out there,
   Does anyone have any ideas on how to be sure that a vendor has been
paid? I'm now trying to have the invoices sent directly to me so I can
immediately hand them to the person in the music office who does this work.
But once it leaves my hands, I have no way of knowing if/when the bill was
actually paid.
   When I first came here we used a Purchase Order system but later was
told it would be quicker, with less paperwork, to use a Purchase Voucher to
pay anything under $500.00. So far, it doesn't seem to always work out that
way!
   I ordered a few things last week from one of the supply houses and a day
or so ago I received a notice that an order from Mar. 29, 1996 had not yet
been paid! I've had this type of problem before, but that time it was the
fault of a very bad secretary who, thankfully, is no longer with us.
   This has been very frustrating, as well as embarrassing, to me. I'm even
considering talking to the Director of the Music Department and trying to
get permission to do the vouchers and send them to Accounts Payable myself.
At least I would know they had been done, and when.
   Any suggestions?

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston