Grand keys too short?

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Fri, 02 Aug 1996 15:17:42 -0400 (EDT)

While doing some repairs, minor reconditioning, and regulation on a 1926
Armstrong 4' 10" grand (with bass sustain instead of a sostenuto), I
found that the damper lift had been little to almost non-existent on many
notes. (Tuning it was a real challenge.)  After regulating a few
underlevers, I found that nothing improved, and that these re-regulated
underlevers now got stuck on the back edge of the keystick and jammed.
Only the very end 1/16 inch of the damper lift felt squares have any
impression marks from the underlevers.  Apparently, either the keysticks
are too short, or the action was installed too far forward (toward the
pianist).  The action placement
has apparaently never been re-adjusted from factory settings.  I think
the dampers worked for years because the 1/4" thick lifter felts extended
past the key wood about 1/16" and didn't fail until recently.  I am
considering extension of all keylengths by about 3/8" by glueing small
blocks of wood, or pieces of veneer before glueing in new felt on each
keystick.  This will involve some time and damper reregulation.  Am I
missing something major, as I have never heard of this problem before?

Several weeks ago I asked advice about an unavailable fallboard decal,
and several of you gave the same advice; to purchase office supply dry
transfer letters and create a new decal.  I apologize for not thanking
you earlier, as we have been very busy with other projects the past 3
wks.

Fred Scoles, RPT,  Oswego, NY,  Syracuse Chapter 131