SATs

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Mon, 05 Aug 1996 11:47:01 -0400

In a message dated 96-08-05 00:57:44 EDT, musselj@cadvision.com (John
Musselwhite) writes:

<< In general, I find more opposition to it among the general public than I
do
 on the stage.

John,
I would be interested to see how often and in what way your clients comment
on electronic tuning aids (I assume that is what you mean by general public).
 My experience has been that of curiosity rather then opposition. Once I give
my customers my two minutes speech that the SAT is just another one of my
tools like my tuning hammer, their curiosity is satisfied and we both go
about our business. Only once several years ago did a customer initially
object, but after I explained just what it does she was satisfied and I have
serviced her piano twice yearly since.

Like others have noted here on the list, the most opposition I've seen has
been from those who haven't learned how to utilize the SAT and now the
Reyburn CyberTuner to their advantage. One of the most amusing examples of
opposition I've seen was from a technician who had tuned aurally for over 20
years. He purchased a SAT for testing purposes and used it only for tests for
several years. Then he decided to use it to set his A. Some few months later
he decided to use it to experiment with the low bass and high treble. Long
story short, he now uses it daily (only of course for those PSOs that take
too long otherwise). He now even states, albeit grudgingly, that it just
might be a help.

Gina