Getting your wooden nickels-

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 05 Aug 1996 12:47:44 -0400

(In answer to your private post requesting reprint permission... wanted to
give it to the List)

Dear Keith,
     Anything I post to the List is fair game for Newsletters or Journal bits
or whatever.
Feel free to re-publish, re-distribute, or ....reject (!) anything submitted
by TunerJeff to the BYU TechList.

    {{ I realize that my kids may use these posts against me at a
competency-hearing in a decade or 4.... but what's Life without any risks!?}}

     Seriously, though... that small discount (10%) has promoted my business
among folks who really do have budget concerns (Churches, schools,
piano-teachers, etc.) and given me additional tunings... as these pianos are
used (heard, felt, smelled, and enjoyed) by more than most "home-owned"
instruments. Word-of-mouth advertising has always been the most effective way
to promote new business, and that 10% is a business write-off used in the
right place, IMHO.

     Adding the "Net 10 days" to the invoice was suggested by an
administrator who was returning the favor to me! His way of thanking me for
that same 10%. His suggestion has led to a very reliable way to GET that
invoice paid in a timely fashion. Would he have been so helpful without the
extra dollars being saved??? Mebbe so, mebbe no... but I've never had
occasion to regret offering it.

Sincerely
Jeffrey T. Hickey RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services

ps-  Just went to a marvelous seminar @ Larry's Music in Grant's Pass; Was a
two-part Disklavier Class with Laroy Edwards.

1.- First was a Sales demo for folks selling the Yamaha line & Disklavier in
particular.
This was open to techs... but I was only one there, among the 6 or 7
salesmen. I found it extremely interesting to see how Yamaha promoted it's
products & how they place an enormous effort on maintaining their pianos (The
Servicebond is unique to Yamaha). The demo included an excellent explanation
of Yamaha's conctruction techniques and the theory behind their
"Tone_Collector" system... which routes vibrations throughout the instrument.

    Great fun! (...and I snagged a Disklavier pen, too!) If this demo comes
to your area... make an effort to go, it ain't just fer the sale-types.

2.- Second was a "refresher" for servicing the Disklavier Player System. We
ran through the basic DealerPreparation List (...how to handle a DKV fresh
from the crate), as Yamaha has learned that 95% of "field-problems" can be
solved by running the basic checklist. If you didn't catch my Letter to the
Editor (Journal in December), take a gander at it for a pretty fair pocket
description of how the system operates and is serviced. They are AMAZING!

      Laroy is a marvelous instructor, and his commitment to Yamaha is based
on the simple fact that they are building a superbly engineered piano. People
may argue who has the best piano or best tone or whatever... but Yamaha has
proved to be VERY dependable and it's pianos are always first-class. IMHO.
(Sorry for the commercial plug... but Yamaha does good work!)

     Anyhoo.... if you hear of Laroy heading to your neck of the woods....
GO!!!

(And thanks for the copy of your newsletter with the Harp-in-a-casket
story...)

jef