SATs

Leonard W. Childs lenny@stic.net
Mon, 05 Aug 1996 16:15:07 -0500

EugeniaCar@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-07-30 23:38:10 EDT, Brent.Fischer@asu.edu writes:
>
> << However, as a C&A technician for S&S I find it is not an acceptable
>  device to use for concert work for two very good reasons. One, the
>  majority of Steinway artists feel very uncomfortable meeting the
>  technician who is using a electronic aid and secondly the best
>  machines have not proven they can measure the most important aspect
>  of fine tuning, perception >>
>
> Brent,
> I must politely disagree with you and emphatically agree with Barb. Having
> been our area "concert" technician for the past eleven years, and having used
> the SAT for ten of them, and having tuned for a plethora of Steinway and
> others' artists, I can attest that not once has a single artist even
> mentioned tuning, even though I am usually there with my SAT finishing up the
> tuning when the artist arrives. Consistently, they check the piano for
> eveness of touch and fast repetition. Although, it just may be that my being
> there satisfies their perception that this technician will take care of
> whatever the concert demands.
> (Sorry about the lateness of this response. Just got back from a great
> vacation!)
> Gina CarterHi Gina,
Lenny Childs from San Antonio, TX.  Yes, I agree with you.  I find more
technicians running each other down over electronic vs. aural tunings.

Say, I want be at the National Convention this year, but RL and I wish
you all the best in the world.  Maybe you can change some or all of the
hateful feelings that I've been reading about in these "news-letters"
and in the Journal.

Good luck,
Lenny Childs