Gimmee some advice!

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Mon, 05 Aug 1996 21:19:27 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 05 Aug 1996 22:51:45 -0400
> From:          MHoffman11@aol.com
> Subject:       Gimmee some advice!
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu (multiplerecipientsoflist)

> Hello list!
>
> I'm going to be restringing a Steinway model "OR", serial 278808 (1934) and
> have a question for all you whiz kids out there in cyberspace.
>
> What would you do about ordering the bass strings?   Would you order "L"
> strings from NY Steinway, "O" from Hamburg or send a pattern/old strings to
> the local neighborhood stringmaker?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Mike

Mike,

I would take samples and a pattern.  The whole set isn't
necessay.  Samples:  #1 and last of single string unisons.
First string of the first double string unison and the last
string in the bass section.  When tenor section has some wound
strings send the first and last, provided they are all double or
triple string unisons.  Otherwise first and last of like unison
types.  Make sure the pattern shows the stringmaker clearly
where the winding ends at each end of the strings and agraffes,
bridge pins etc.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA