Pianotech list sorted (sordid?)

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:04:01 -0600

List,

If anyone is interested, this is one way to sort the list of subscribers to
pianotech:

I opened the REVIEW PIANOTECH message, copied it to the clipboard, and
pasted it into a blank word processor document (I used MS Word). I then
highlighted the entire list of subscribers, added a tab mark where I wanted
the names on the right to be, and manually went from name to name, lining
up the names in the right column using the tab key. That was the most
time-consuming part (337 subscribers in all).

Once I had the data in tab-delimited form, I again highlighted just the
names and addresses and used the text-to-table command, creating two
columns. This put the e-mail addresses in the left column and the
corresponding names in the right one. I had to manually adjust the width of
each column to accomodate a few rather lengthy addresses. Then I selected
the right column and used the sort command. I ended up with e-mail
addresses and their corresponding names sorted by first name. Lastly, I
went through and deleted a few blank spaces and cleaned up a few other
formatting problems.

This whole process took about 15 minutes, including a break for attitude
adjustment fluids when things didn't seem to be going so well.

Tom Seay, RPT

Tom Seay
School of Music
The University of Texas at Austin