Fork or Float

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:35:51 -0600

>From Sy Zabrocki RPT=09
Circumstances on a job last week has prompted me to post this topic Fork =
or Float. A lady here has two Steinway grands which I tune twice a year. =
In January both pianos were flat 14 cents (at least in mid range). Now =
in July both were sharp 12 cents. So in the winter we yank them up to =
pitch, in the summer we push 'em down.

This classic example reminded me of a symposium held at the PTG =
Convention in Kansas City in 1994. A panel of several members was =
selected to debate the issue. Some members defended the principal that =
we should always tune exactly to the "fork" at A-440. Others defended =
the concept that it is permissible to "float". Float means that if the =
pitch is 12 cents sharp in the summer it is OK to tune maybe 6 cents =
sharp knowing that in a couple of months the humidity will decrease and =
the pitch will settle down to A-440 on it's own. Likewise in the winter, =
if the pitch is flat 12 cents, then tune maybe 6 cents flat knowing in =
the spring it will rise to A-440 on it's own.

The debate was about an hour and half. Those on the fork side stated it =
will probably be necessary to tune twice anyway so tune to 440. The =
piano is out-of-tune, you've been called and it your duty to tune =
A-4440.=20

I can't remember all the points stated. The float members believed the =
tuning should involve as little movement in the strings as possible to =
put the piano in tune.Over many years this would be less wear in the =
tuning pin holes. The average customer is not going to notice 6 or 8 =
cents flat of sharp. Of course we tune to 440 in a concert situation. =20

If you inclined to the float theory then you will have to deal with the =
bass. The bass many times hardly moves at all. If tuning sharp for =
instance, then maybe you would have to raise the bass, or lower if in =
the winter. But there fewer strings in the bass than in the mid and =
treble range.=20

I've tuned school pianos a little sharp without my conscience bothering =
me. Tuning flat seems like a greater offense.

I do admit to tuning these two Steinways last week at A-441.=20

Until the convention in 1994 I had not heard of this term Fork or Float =
nor has it been mentioned since.

Sy Zabrocki--RPT--Billings, MT
only4zab@imt.net