Gimmee some advice! (RE: Bass String Scale)

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 06 Aug 1996 08:52:12 -0500

>Hello list!
>
>I'm going to be restringing a Steinway model "OR", serial 278808 (1934) and
>have a question for all you whiz kids out there in cyberspace.
>
>What would you do about ordering the bass strings?   Would you order "L"
>strings from NY Steinway, "O" from Hamburg or send a pattern/old strings to
>the local neighborhood stringmaker?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>Mike

Dear Mike,

I would recommend that you call Mike Mohr at Steinway & Sons
(1-800-366-1853) for information about this scale.  I believe that Steinway
still has its bass strings spun by Mapes in TN (listed in the PTG Services
Directory), who has all the scales on record.  It is still a good idea to
send a pattern according to the instructions from the string maker.

An alternative is an independent string maker in Canada: GC Strings @
416-755-7109, ask for Danny.  His strings are *superb*; we have installed
them in several of our concert Steinways with dramatic results.  Danny has
Steinway scales on record.

Good luck,

Charles

Charles Ball, RPT