6 old upright pianos

Jim Kinnear jkinnear@blue.georgian.net
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 21:16:38 -0400 (EDT)

This is an interesting thread...

While we are on the subject, I. too have ended up with a few duds, often at the
end of several "sale - with - trade " situations. Aside from the art of making a
living by careful dealing, the last link in the chain is often a piano which I
can't, in good conscience, claim any quality for.

What I have done, is increase my stock of used parts, everything from hinges,
action, keys, the lot, and in some cases, the cabinet parts, leaving a carcass
that, as another wrote, makes a dandy weenie roast.

I never thought about piano races, or smash up derby..... the liability issues
would be formidible, not to mention the basic flagrant disregard for the
principle of respect for a musical instrument.

As well, I have two unique garden ornaments, around which the clematis thrive,
the cast iron plates from an 1856 english piano, and an 1895 Gerhard Heintzman.
 Aside from this novel use, the comparison of the technology is certainly
interesting.

Perhaps we should help the old piano market by practicing piano euthanasia....
to paraphrase Orson Wells...

		We shall save no piano beyond its time....

happily gardening...

		         Jim Kinnear, I.P.T.
		       KINNEAR PIANO SERVICES
		      Collingwood, Ont, Canada