Strip Mute It?

NBarr18195@aol.com NBarr18195@aol.com
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 00:32:37 -0400

I do not usually strip mute most pianos. Tuning all strings from A0 to C8
seems to give a more stable tuning. On verticals I use the split rubber
treble mute for the tenor section by straddling the outside strings leaving
the middle string open. The first time I saw this was at a PTG convention and
was shown by Jim Coleman Sr. The Pap’s treble mute works better in the
treble. On grands however I use only a split rubber treble mute with the long
handle broken off leaving in about 3 inches long. Being shortened in this
manner it is the only mute that  I need to tune the whole piano.  By
straddling the outside strings you can tune the middle first, then the
outsides in either order you wish or you can mute the middle and one outside
and tune the other first and then the other 2 to it.  Occasionally when I get
a wild reading on the stretch numbers I will revert to strip muting from F6
down through all the bass double strings and tune the piano using to C3 to F6
method and tune the bass and treble to this tuning. This helps somewhat on a
poorly scaled piano.
	I do enjoy following this list and feel that I have learned a lot form it

Norman Barrett
Memphis, TN