Question about high gloss finishes

Paul Stephens pauls@ieighty.net
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 06:41:38 -0700

Don Mannino wrote:

> Keith A. McGavern, RPT wrote:
>
> >Question from a customer...
>
> Do high gloss finishes allow the wood to breathe?<<
>
> Some questions in reply:
>
> Do you want the wood to breathe? If so, why?
>
> How fast should it breathe? Is fast or slow better?
>
> Don Mannino RPT
> 74473.624@compuserve.comHello All,

(Shouldn't this list have a personal name that we could use when
addressing this esteemed assembly?  Perhaps something like Ingebretson or
Sam would provide a more personal opening. ;-))

The question of whether or not wood should breathe is the real issue.  We
are not talking about air movement; we are concerned with water vapor
movement.  As the wood "breathes" water vapor, it expands and contracts.
 Is this what we want?

In the wooden boat business, three substantial coats of epoxy resin have
been shown to prevent water vapor movement in and out of wood.  Contact
the West System people about more information about this.  Polyester
resins in fiber glass boats are not entirely waterproof: i.e. boats
stored in water eventually develop gel coat blisters from water inside
the structure.

It seems to me that perhaps wood does not need to breathe.  The less
movement in a wooden piano structure, the more stable that structure will
be.  This might also be true with soundboards and bridges, but loading
those elements with a finish heavy enough to prevent vapor transfer
appears to have a negative effect on the tone.

This whole area is facinating.  Perhaps some of the other experts here
can provide more insight.

Paul Stephens, RPT