Strip mute or not?

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 09:51:12 -0400

    Somebody wrote:

    "I once went to visit a tuner friend and interrupted him while tuning
    his piano with a SAT.  He used a Papps mute throughout . . .  Never once
    did any checks.  He finished tuning the piano and invited me to check it
    out.  I did and it was horrible . . . I was obviously skeptical about
    the method he used . . .  Where are the checks?"

    I have two comments:

    1.  The tool (SAT) is only as good as the person's ability using it.
    It's the same with any other tool.  With the SAT you first have to
    understand the 3 FAC stretch numbers and how to correctly measure and
    store them into the machine.  It's not always best to use the
    "literal values" that you measure.  And you've first got to be
    able to measure them correctly.  When tuning JUST stopping the lights is
    probably the worst way to use the SAT tool.  Stopping the lights gets
    you in the ballpark, but your ears and GOOD tuning hammer techniques
    will put it where it should be so it will stay.  Which brings me to my
    second comment:

    2.  The checks should be occurring "as you go" (from A0 to C8).  I check
    octaves, double octaves, 4ths, 5ths, progressive 10ths and 17ths through
    the bass - as I go.  I finish with aural checks over the entire scale
    when I'm through.  I use the tests and checks I have learned that work
    best for me.  When I'm through I make sure the piano sounds MUSICAL and
    the unisons are clean.  I don't get complaints.

    I lied.  I have three comments.

    3.  It upsets me that some are using the SAT strictly as a "light
    stopping device."  Yes, this tooner is giving us and the SAT a bad name,
    not to mention the unhappy, disappointed customers he/she leaves behind.

    Dave Swartz said it best when he posted something to the effect:  "ears
    and the SAT - the best of BOTH worlds."

    Regards,

    John Piesik