Question about high gloss finishes #4

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 11:06:51 -0400

Dear Paul, Sam, and Ingebretson
"The question of whether or not wood should breathe is the real issue."

"It seems to me that perhaps wood does not need to breathe."

Paul I'm not sure what the real issue of this thread is but like you I find
it fascinating. If the definiton of wood "breathing" is the absorbtion and
release of water vapor, than the issue is how to control this and not whether
it should happen. Wood will "breathe", whether we want it to or not. The
finish we use and the use of the article should dictate the construction. The
West system, as I understand it depends on a partial impregnation of the wood
with PEG or similar substance and this is what gives the West system its good
reputation. Is this correct?
Jim Bryant (FL)