Yamaha Legs/Lyres

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 11:14:38 -0400

Paul;
As the local Yamaha dealer (my familys' business) I have had many
opportunities to repair legs and lyres. Usually the legs and lyres are not
finished in polyester but laquer or laquer like substance, i.e. laquer
thinner cuts it and laquer bonds to it.
This is not true in all cases however, occasionally we will recieve an
instrument with polyester finish on legs and or lyre. Just why this is I
don't know but it is fairly safe to say that the largest percentage of
Yamahas do have legs/lyres finished with something other than polyester.
Whatever it is, it is very functional and durable and accepts  gloss as does
the polyester, however it scratches easier and is not as durable as the
polyester. Keep in mind that the legs and lyre do not usually get the wear
and tear of the case with things constantly put on , dragged across, etc.
Paul I am not aware of any significant finish change on current production
models.
Jim Bryant (FL)