: Re: Strip Mute It?

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 16:29:50 -0700 (mst)

Dear Jim:

Yes, I do have some tho'ts on the advantages of doing unisons as you go.
I learned this when Dr. S's Accutuner came out with the pitch raise pro-
cedure.  I had always had to use a 33% overkill factor when I used the
strip method.  His procedure uses a 25% overtune factor.  With the
strip method, by the time you get around to tuning the unisons, the middle
string has already slipped about 5% or so.  The side strings will slip
more after the unison is tuned because the middle string has already done
most of its stabilizing, leaving you with a less stable unison in the end.
I noticed a decided improvement in the final result when I changed to
doing unisons on the run.  One further advantage is that in fine tuning,
if you choose to tune each string of the unisons individually with the
machine, you can do it.  For pitch raising it's not practical to tune the
unisons exclusively by machine because it is more time consuming
but for fine tuning, you have a double check on your unisons as you go.

I do not suggest that the novice tuner start with note #1, because it is
possible on a string that is way out that s/he may follow a reading of a
partial other than the one intended.  I had a call from someone who did
this recently.  I like to tune the Bass last because  except for new
strings the Bass holds better and if the Tenor section settles any at all
my Bass will be tuned to match it.  Otherwise you may end up with a Bass
that does not match the rest of the piano.

Jim C. Sr.(AZ)

PS  I noticed in another post that I had left you in a stew.  If you send
me a reminder about what it was, I'll try to do better.  My apologies,
Sir.